One of my family’s all time favorite movies is Sound of Music. We’ve watched it with the kids since dear daughter was the same age as the youngest Von Trapp daughter and now she is older than the oldest one! Through the years it’s been fun for her to relate to each girl closest to her age. She would even sing and dance like Maria and throw the curtains around her head during the scene where she had decided to make the children play clothes out of her old drapes. Sadly, ours were a lot like Maria’s only in oranges and browns! We inherited them when we bought our house years ago. They are gone now, thankfully!
One of the great songs in the movie is Maria’s “Favorite Things” song when all the children are huddled on her bed frightened from a nighttime storm. That’s what gave me the idea for the blog post title. 🙂
Today I am posting a few of my favorite things: Things I collect or have received as gifts, actually.
- The figurines are Willow Tree pieces. Most of them were given to me by my sweeties. I also have the Nativity that I display on the shelf at Christmas time.
- The beautiful little glass goblets are heirlooms from my husbands side of the family. They are so delicate that I am afraid to drink out of them so I use them for candle holders here.
- The shelf holds my salt and pepper shakers that Grandpa gave me when Grandma passed away (on my mom’s side). She had collected way over 1,000 pairs! We loved to go to their house as kids and gaze at all the different ones and she could tell us where each one came from and who had given it to her. Special memories!
- I also love quilts and dear hubby surprised me with this one after a trip to help a friend in Missouri one time.
- The two special photographs are of my parents (in the tall frame) and hubby’s parents on their wedding days.
I guess you can tell by this little grouping of special things that I am a sentimental girl that likes to decorate in a homey, warm style.
So, what are some things you cherish or like to collect? Do share!